Ramat Hanadiv is the final resting place of Baron Edmond de Rothschild and his wife Adelheid. More than half a million visitors enter the gates of its Memorial Gardens and Nature Park annually.
On 6 April 1954 the bodies of the Baron and Baroness de Rothschild were brought to Israel from France and laid to rest at Ramat Hanadiv, near the town of Zikhron Ya’akov. This fulfilled the dream of Baron Edmond and Baroness Adelaide to be buried ‘in the rock of Israel’.
Opened to the public in 1954 as a Memorial Garden and Nature Park, Ramat Hanadiv stretches over an area of approximately five sq kms, with a perimeter of some 10,000 metres. Its south-west exposure looks out over the Mediterranean Sea; on the eastern side Ramat Hanadiv is adjacent to the Hanadiv Valley. While Ramat Hanadiv covers a mere 0.02% of the area of Israel, it protects an impressive 30% of the country’s flora.
In 2008 Ramat Hanadiv opened a new Visitors Pavilion designed by Ada Karmi-Melamede. The Pavilion was the first public LEED certified ‘green’ building in Israel.
Over the years Ramat Hanadiv has transformed itself into a platform for educational activity and practical scientific and environmental research. It pioneered therapeutic gardening in Israel and addressed responsible use of water. It has taken steps to increase its contribution to the surrounding communities through the Partnership for a Sustainable Region.
Ramat Hanadiv Website